Terrestrial Wind Energy
Our visual work for onshore wind infrastructure has helped shape the renewable energy landscape in Maine and New England. VIEWSHED specializes in Visual Impact Assessment for the permitting of wind power facilities, we have helped the public to understand the impact of this infrastructure on the rural landscape.
Our visual simulations and viewshed analysis material is used for public information meetings, land-owner negotiations, and user surveys. We have established relationships with firms who design and implement intercept surveys to test the potential effect of wind energy projects on the public’s continued use and enjoyment of scenic resources.
Wind Energy Qualifications and Presentations
- Consulted with Maine DEP on Chapter 315 Visual Assessment Procedures, used to evaluate associated facilities in wind projects.
- Advisor to the Maine Governor’s Task Force on Wind Energy Development (2008).
- Presented Social Acceptance of Wind Energy – Addressing Visual Impact in Skeptical Communities at 2011 ASLA San Diego.
- Presented Visual Impact Assessment and the Maine Wind Energy Act, with James Cassida and Dr. James Palmer. at the 2012 NAEP Conference, Portland, OR, and at the 2012 ASLA Annual Meeting in Phoenix.
- Presented The Maine Wind Energy Act in a Time of Change at the 2017 Visual Resource Stewardship Conference in Lemont, IL.